For the situation you have created a remote (master) repository on GitHub, BitBucket or OpenHub.
cd existing-project git init git add --all git commit -m "Initial Commit" git remote add origin https://github.com/user/project.git git push origin master
- Change to source directory
- Initialize git repository
- Add and commit the changes (ignore unwanted files with .gitignore)
- Add remote repository, replace user and project with your data
- Push to repository with branch master, you may have to authenticate yourself at the server or ssh-key