This post is older than a year. Consider some information might not be accurate anymore.
A pleasant sightseeing tour starting in the city of Biel (German) or Bienne (French), Switzerland. This tour has multiple finish possibilities.
Get bus 1 or 2 from Biel/Bienne Railway Station (bus stop “Taubenloch”).
Taubenloch, (French: Gorges du Taubenloch) is a gorge located in the Canton of Bern, above Biel/Bienne in Switzerland. It crosses the first Jura Mountain chain, as considered from the Swiss Plateau.
- Distance: 2.5 km or 1.5 miles
- Duration: 45 minutes
- This hike is regarded as easy, but it is important to wear good walking shoes.
- Not suited for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
Enjoy the scenic view one of the rare natural crossings in Switzerland.
At the end you can enjoy a visit in the Restaurant des Gorges as finish for a nice Sunday walk.
You can continue to
Frinvillier, in German
Friedliswart, a village near Taubenloch. At the train station, you can commute back to Biel/Bienne.
If you like to continue, take the hiking trail to Twannberg, Direction Twann-Tüscherz. You will pass Magglingen, a bilingual city in the community of Leubringen or French: Evilard.
- Distance: 10 km or 6 miles
- Duration: 3.5 hours
There are several hotels and restaurants across the route, where you can stop. There are several options for continuing the hike.
Option 1: Twann-Tüscherz
The restaurant Tanne, Gaicht 20, 2513 Twann-Tüscherz offers homemade pies and delicious food and refreshments.
The fastest way back to Biel/Bienne is hiking towards Twann-Tüscherz where you can get take the train. In total you may have spent 4 to 5 hours for the hike.
- Distance: 4 km or 2.5 miles
- Duration: 1 hour
Option 2: Twannbach Gorge
The path shows off a series of spectacular passages, crossing the river on adventurous footbridges or following tunnels cut into the rock. The crowning glory of this wonderful hike is a walk in the winemaking village of Twann.
- The hiking path through the gorge is open.
- Fee: each year maintenance work is undertaken to ensure the footpath remains through the gorge. The funding is partly provided by an entrance fee of (CHF 2.00).
- Warning: the terrain of the gorge may be very slippery in wet weather.
In Twann take back the train to Biel/Bienne.
- Distance: 5 km or 3 miles
- Duration: 1.5 hours
If you take this option you have spent 5 to 6 hours for the hike. Without any long pause, you can hike 4 to 5 hours. In total 17.5 km or 10 miles . So better start very early !